From 3 years of experience in distributed digital production, 30 printing hubs, and 60 3D FDM printers, Ubique found out that the printing failures were mostly caused by the human factor.
Ubique has developed an integrated HW&SW solution that minimizes human intervention, by reducing costs and increasing successful printing. Additionally, to achieve further efficiency, a customized algorithm has been developed within the management SW in order to create predictive productions reding the number of unsold items by 90%.
How it Works?
A NERVOUS SYSTEM LIKE LOGIC FOR THE UBIQUE SOLUTION.
Starting from a digital inventory of 1,000 references, the management SW sends to the production a small series of references within a network of 1,000 printers located in strategic locations (shops/warehouses). These references are quickly placed on the market. The sales are collected in the form of approval stimuli that are sent back to the management SW and then processed to create a predictive production that allows meeting the costumer's expectation.
Core C is a device based on 3DP FDM technology designed for the production in the retail field. Core C operates within a real-time cloud system to optimize production
- Modular printer using a Core XY mechanism ,assembled into a rack.
- From 1 up to 6, 400X400 mm interchangeable printing plates, whit a Z axis of 1800 mm.
- A remote controlled single print unit, extruding h24 on different plates with 80 mm/s printing speed.
- Decreasing human intervention by 60%
- Weekly schedule
- Easy maintenance:
- One/twice a day withdraw the printing plate
- Weekly material change (using a 5Kg coil)
- Monthly the printing unit with a replacement.
Ubique solution consists in a software ecosystem, distributed across cloud, edge, web and mobile environments. The software ecosystem is capable to manage online a network of 1,000 3D printers, handling and monitoring thousand of tasks and activities
- Distributed printer that acting as a single factory.
- Significant reduction of human errors; coordination of different actors involved, i.e. production manager, sales manager and the machine operator able to react to events, detected by the hardware (IoT) or by the staff.
- Following the indications of the predictive algorithm, manages a flexible production planning based on weekly scheduling program, allows the coordination of the printers network with a real-time interactions cloud2machine.
Main technology employed
Kubernetes as environment and Knative for serverless & eventing.
The Pareto principle, also known as the “80/20 rule”, suggests that in certain types of related data (typically linked by a cause and effect mechanism) there is a relationship that can be measured in 20:80.
Within the management SW, Ubique has designed the 80/20 algorithm whose aim is to program a production that minimizes unsold without penalizing the number of references available in the store.
The 80/20 algorithm is able, in a short period of time to identify those references that fall within the Pareto model, the 20% of references that generate 80% of the sold items and redirect production towards them.
The effectiveness of the functionalities of the 80/20 algorithm has been proven analysing the sales data of the retail. The algorithm, in its full functionality, has proven to intercept the Pareto curve in 13 weeks, making possible a predictive production of successful references with an error’s margin of 10%.
The entire software project has requested 40 weeks of development and the use of a multidisciplinary team of experts on cloud native technologies, mobile, web & embedded systems and data science.
Ubique’s team is active in Italy and in the Netherlands, and gathers skills in the field of system integration, electronic and materials engineering, chemistry, mechatronics, 3D modeling and printing, marketing and communication.